Vitamin C Effects on Skin Health and Chlorine Removal
Vitamin C Shower, refillable with 100% natural and food grade Vitamin C powder that you can buy locally or online, making it the best, most economical, most environmental, and safest way to remove chlorine from tap water. This is an ideal method that the Japanese long know to protect their skin and hair from tap water chlorine. The topical use of a super antioxidant like Vitamin C makes both skin and hair healthy - this is why there are so many Vitamin C-enriched skincare products available. When it comes to maximum full-body absorption, a warm shower enclosure plus fully-dilated skin pores provides the maximum absorption of Vit C vapor. The weak acidic water produced by this device matches the weak acidic skin pH value of 5.8, which makes this so nourishing to skin & hair shaft.
How it Works:
Vitamin C dechlorination has a lengthy and scientifically-proven history. It has been used in EPA and APHA water treatnent for dechlorination. It neutralizes both chlorine and chloramines. This is an essential vitamin for humans and many animals, which is known to boost their immune system, improve skin and hair of humans. It is also the safest and least toxic dechlorination agent available.
Control-released Vitamin C mechanism, releases the necessary amount of Vitamin C to neutralize chlorine or chloramines without wasting. When water flow is absent, the shower filter stops releasing the vitamin.
Lifespan of each Vit C refill is independent on the quantity, temperature and pressure of shower water. But many of our models incorporate this Vit C indicator to tell you when the cartridge needs replenishing. There is no more guess work.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), being a natural antioxidant, rapidly reduces oxidizing chlorine compounds. Vit C also has the advantage of producing inorganic halides and de-hydro ascorbic acid as opposed to halogenated organic molecules when it comes to producing byproducts. Moreover, Vit C also forms chelate complexes with transition metal ions.
Features & Benefits:
- Removes 99.9% of chlorine and chloramines from tap water by using natural Vitamin C filter, no harsh chemicals needed.
- User can refill with any high quality Vitamin C powder or granules, or even other substances. No proprietary (and usually very expensive) cartridges to buy.
- Proven results
- Improves dry, irritated and itchy skin
- Soothes sensitive and damaged skin
- Prevents chlorine-inducing dandruff
- Protects hair from sun damage and coloring
- For pets too
- Good for fish aquariums – no need to age chlorinated tap water
- Protects pets’ skin and hair from chlorine and chloramines
- Water savings (up to 10% ~ 50%) with its low flow design but at zero expense of comfort & cleansing performance. An effective & water-conserving shower can:
- Saves water (inflow & sewage)
- Saves energy
- Saves money
Chlorine is a toxic chemical element of the halogen family, which is used for production of oxidizer, bleaching agent, and sterilization-related products. Chlorine in tab water can also be reacted by a combination of organic elements to yield organic chlorine (i.e. environmental hormone) that harms our environment and health.
During bathing, chlorine evaporates out of the water and is inhaled both via lungs and skin pores. This toxic gas can also further spread through the house and be inhaled by others. Some reports claimed that as much chlorine enters the body as drinking chlorinated water during the entire day. This increased exposure to the adverse effects of chlorine by household residents can be from 6 to 100 times more than medically recommended.
Chlorine also strips skin oils; creating a dermal drying effect. Showering and bathing in chlorinated water can also result in the brittleness of hair shafts. Because chlorine is absorbed into the body through the skin, additional physical problems can ensue. Chlorinated water can also irritate eyes, leaving them red, itchy and burning. Inhaling the toxic steam can aggravate sinuses and lungs. Chloramines, although being a more stable compound, contains chlorine and ammonia which is also used to control bacteria in water systems. It poses somewhat similar harmful effect as chlorine.
- Chlorine: Added to all municipal water supplies, this disinfectant hardens arteries, destroys proteins in the body (like making hair brittle), irritates skin and sinuses, aggravates asthma, allergies, and respiratory problems. When it comes to hair damage, chlorine residue oxidizes protein and cuticle causing dull and clumsy looking hair as well as dandruff.
People with sensitive skin, skin rashes, specific skin allergies, and very dry skin particularly need Vitamin C Shower filter to reduce their exposure to the aggressive effects of chlorine. Chlorine destroys protein, roughens and ages your skin. It specifically worsens atopy-skin disease.
- Chloroform: This powerful by product of chlorination causes excessive free radical formation (accelerated aging!), normal cells to mutate, and cholesterol to oxidize. It is a known carcinogen!
Advantages of Vitamin over Traditional Technologies:
- Vitamin C dechlorination has been used in EPA and APHA methods for handling lab samples. In the medical industry, it is the standard for critical applications such as dialysis, where the introduction of chlorinated water or other toxic chemicals would be catatrophic. Breeders of delicate fish also choose this less intrusive method of dechlorination. Lately, vitamin dechlorination is being used in the treatment of water. Vitamin C fully neutralizes both chlorine and chloramines. There are several powerful arguments for using Vitamin instead of KDF, activated carbon or sulfur-based compounds as dechlorination agents. Vitamin utilizes ascorbic acid chemical reaction for dechlorination. It is made with an essential vitamin for humans and many animals, it is known to boost the immune system, improve skin and hair of humans. It is also the safest and least toxic dechlorinating agent. The research by US EPA found out that L-Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) reacts rapidly and stoichiometrically with active chlorine and has limited interactions with disinfection byproducts. They found no interference from L-ascorbic acid or its oxidation product (dehydroascorbic acid) in mutagenicity assays of chlorinated NOM using Salmonella typhimurium TA100, with or without metabolic activation.
*Urbansky ET, Freeman DM, Rubio FJ, JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING 2 (3): 253-256 2000, United States Environmental Protection Agency(US EPA), Office of Research and Development, National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Water Supply and Water Resources Division, 26 W Martin Luther King Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45268 USA.
- Activated carbon filtration (AC) is effective in reducing organic chemicals including chlorine in cold water. Chlorine is attracted to and absorbed by the carbon reactive sites. However, the efficiency of absorption is quickly nullified when the water becomes warm. The lifetime of an activated carbon shower filter can be quite short. It also gets clogged quickly by the dirt it is meant to stop. As soon as that happens, it immediately stops absorbing and even starts to let go previously-trapped dirt.
- KDF, another widely used dechlorination media, is comprised of copper and zinc. It removes free chlorine by reversing the electrochemical process that originally separated the chlorine from sodium in a brine solution. However, it can't remove chloramines plus its efficiency depends on water temperature inversly - it doesn't work well in cold water. KDF shower filters are also affected by water pressure. When the water pressure is not high enough, water simply can't pass through the KDF media. The dirt a KDF filter removes from the water quickly saturates the surface of the KDF that in turn makes the filter ineffective very quickly. Other shower filter manufacturers use sulfur-based compounds such as calcium sulfite or sodium sulfite (or sulfate) as de-chlorinating agents. These sulfur-based compounds can be toxic to humans. The addition of excess sulfite and sulfate chemicals to our water supplies has always been a concern.
If you use well water, then you have no concern over chlorinated water but you can still enjoy all the benefits offered by this super antioxidant called Vit C. With that said, you may also want to experiment with other antioxidant- or polyphenol-rich substances. This is the beauty of you-fill-it cartridge design! You may even be creative and use tourmaline-infused components which emit negative ions & far-infrared heat. As we know, far-infrared heats 3" below skin surface to relieve pain, facilitate blood circulation, and relax muscles. Last but not least, negative ions boost energy & relieve stress.